What is a Cosmetic Dentist?
People often ask us, what is a cosmetic dentist? What is the difference between a dentist and a cosmetic dentist? Will it cost more? Do cosmetic dentists do fillings? And what type of dentist does cosmetic treatments?
It is a type of dentistry that can make significant improvements to the aesthetics or visual state of your teeth and smile.
What problems can an cosmetic dentist fix?
Cosmetic dentistry in Brisbane can be useful in improving the appearance of a range of dental complaints that people have about the appearance of their teeth, including:
- Discoloured teeth that are stained, for example a brown, grey or yellow colour.
- Chipped/cracked teeth that have been chipped through an accident or through chewing on something too hard.
- Malformed teeth, which can result naturally through how the teeth grow, and also through genetic, environmental, or other factors.
- Gaps between the teeth. Alternatively, cosmetic dentistry can also correct crowded teeth and teeth that are misaligned.
- Teeth that are small, or which are of a shape which the client is unhappy with.
- Missing teeth that create a visible gap between other teeth, usually at the front of the mouth.
These are just a few of the issues that your dentist may be able to amend through a well thought out cosmetic dentistry treatment strategy.
How to work with a dentist to develop a cosmetic dentistry treatment plan?
Your dentist is likely to ask you a number of questions before they offer you a range of dental treatment solutions. The correct cosmetic solution for your teeth will depend on your circumstances, your budget, your oral health, your overall health, and most notably what you would like to achieve with your dental appearance.
Here are some questions you should be prepared for your dental professional to ask during your initial cosmetic dental expert consult:
- What is it that you like or do not like about your teeth? This will not always be immediately obvious because everyone’s opinion of their own appearance is to an extent subjective.
- You will be able to talk through the specifics of what you do not like about your teeth –
whether it be the fact that they are crooked teeth, chipped teeth, broken teeth, damaged teeth, discoloured teeth, or missing teeth that you are suffering in Brisbane, Indooroopilly, and surrounding regions.
- Once your dentist has established what you would like to change about your teeth, they will need to form an image of what your ideal teeth will look like. You can help them with clear descriptions or also by bringing in an image, for example photo of your smile prior to tooth loss or damage, that demonstrates how you would like your teeth to look after affordable cosmetic dentist consultations.
- Your history of visiting a local cosmetic dental professional will involve your general dentistry history such as fillings or tooth treatment, and your cosmetic dentistry history such as dental veneers or same day dental crowns. Your dentist will help you request a copy of your records from your previous dental clinic and may work with your previous dental professional if this is a necessary step.
- Whether or not you are experiencing any dental pain. This tooth pain or toothache may be associated with the issue you are hoping to correct through cosmetic dental treatments.
- What is your budget for the treatments? The best dental expert will always discuss how much money you would like to spend and how much time you have available. Regarding time, certain treatments such as same day crowns may be instant, whereas other treatments may take months before they are fully complete. The best cosmetic dentists in Brisbane may be able to offer flexible payment options that work for you. They accept all health fund providers so you can access rebates on your dental treatments if you are covered for that item. , You should always talk with your dentist about what cosmetic dentistry benefits are covered by your insurer and health fund, as not all cosmetic treatments will be eligible or covered.
- How willing you are to continue to care for your teeth in special ways after your treatment such as dental implants, dental veneers, same day crowns, dental bridges, and likewise. Some treatment methods require specific oral hygiene routines, dietary modifications, maintenance programs, or dentist revisit. Your dental expert will be able to explain the pros and cons associated with any given dental procedure, and assess your willingness to go through with the necessary post-treatment procedures. This will inform the recommendations made by your dentist.
Examining your teeth to determine the appropriate cosmetic dentistry treatment
Before putting forward any recommendations, your dental practitioner will undertake an extensive examination of your mouth. They will do this for a number of reasons, notably:
- To determine the correct treatment method for you and to be able to rule out any treatment methods that may be inappropriate and determine which ones may be particularly effective and recommended for your concerns.
- To assess what may be causing or has in the past caused your teeth to appear the way they do, such that you have issues with their appearance. This information will help your dentist to determine the best path towards brighter, straight teeth for you.
- To assess whether you have any pre-existing conditions or diseases. These will almost always take precedence over cosmetic treatment, for the reason they often reduce the effectiveness, long-lasting nature, and ability to undertake specific cosmetic dental treatments.
With all this information on board your dentist will then sit you down for a thorough, clear and understandable discussion about all available and suitable cosmetic dental treatments. In the next section we will discuss what your dentist is likely to recommend depending on your circumstances.
This treatment will be most appropriate for you if your teeth are discoloured. This may be due to a number of reasons; for example, failure to follow the recommended oral hygiene routine of brushing and flossing, tooth decay, or excessive consumption of staining beverages such as coffee or red wine.
Tooth whitening will make your teeth enamel whiter, improving the brightness of your smile. Your dental professional will achieve this for you by using a high concentration peroxide gel, activated by a special light placed over the teeth for a period of time. This treatment is conducted at the practice and the whitening effect is almost instant. Here at River City Dental, we use Philips Zoom! Teeth whitening systems.
Dental fillings and dental veneers
For chipped or damaged teeth, fillings and veneers are an option. A filling is a tooth coloured material that is attached to the damaged tooth area, to restore the tooth. Dental fillings can fill cavities in teeth,repair chipped teeth, or be used on old and damaged/discoloured fillings that need replacement. A veneer is a covering over the outer surface of the tooth, and use a tooth-coloured material, such as composite or ceramic. Dental veneers can be used to mask defective teeth, alter their shape, and improve their colour.
During the veneer process, your dentist will prepare the tooth surface to ensure a good bond, and then adhere the veneers. The veneers are shaped and coloured specifically to match your teeth to achieve the desired result.
Sometimes a tooth may be too damaged, mishappen, or small to be amended by the above cosmetic dentistry treatments. If this is the case a dental crown or a dental bridge may be an appropriate treatment solution.
A dental crown refers to a tooth shaped cap that is placed over the tooth. It covers the tooth in its entirety and is connected firmly in place, acting just like your original tooth, improving your smile and also helping you chew food properly. Your dental expert will have to undertake some preparations of the tooth before inserting the crown to ensure that the bond will be strong and long-lasting.
The main benefit of crowns is that they can be used to alter the appearance of teeth both their shape and colour. Vulnerable teeth may also achieve a level of protection and strength that they lacked before being fitted with a crown. Some dentists such as River City Dental will be able to offer same day crowns whereas others may not and you’ll have to come back to have your crown fitted on another day, sometimes a few weeks later).
A dental bridge is made in a similar process to a crown, with the key difference being that a dental bridge is actually multiple crowns joined together to ‘bridge’ a missing tooth. It involves your Taringa dentist first preparing the teeth on either side of the gap. Your dental bridge is then custom-made to restore your smile and replace the missing tooth/teeth.
Dental implants lead on nicely from a discussion about dental bridges because both methods involve replacing missing teeth. When using a dental implant, only the area of the missing tooth is treated and your neighbouring teeth will be unaffected. Whereas a dental bridges must modify the surrounding teeth in order to fill the gap where the tooth is missing.
A dental implant involves a screw being surgically implanted into the jawbone, where it will fuse with the bone to form a solid base. On top of the implant, your cosmetic dentistry team will then place a dental crown, restoring the appearance of a full tooth.
For dental implants your dentist Indooroopilly will need to assess your gum health, bone health, the amount of space available within the gap, and your general overall health to ensure that you are a candidate for implant surgery.. It is also worth noting that dental implant process does take some months to comlpete due to the fact that it takes time to become strongly integrated with the jawbone. ,It is best to entrust your dental implants to an experienced dental implantologist who is certified and who stays up to date with the latest developments in implantology. Who better than our lead dentist at River City Dental, Dr John Bacalakis?
Booking in with a cosmetic dentist Brisbane
Another cosmetic treatment method that we haven’t discussed in this article is invisible aligners. Aligners can be used to alter the position of your teeth to move misaligned teeth, fix bite issues and improve jaw alignment. You can find out more about these cosmetic treatments by reading our other helpful articles or by contacting us.
Contact dentist nearby today to arrange cosmetic dentistry treatments that work for you. We can be emailed on firstname.lastname@example.org or called on (07) 3667 9595. The childrens dentist look forward to helping you to improve your smile and your self-confidence.